Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Who am I?

During this time of transition also comes transformation.  Hopefully the physical me will transform and I will lose this weight once and for all, but this transformation is not about that.  It's about the intellectual me.

I am enrolled at Owens Community College.  This is my first venture into higher education and I don't really have a clue what I want to be when I grow up.  If I were smart, I would have gone to college back when I was young, single, childless and living at home.  I was stupid then, and thought I could make it without school.  And honestly, I didn't do too bad.  When I was recently separated from my employer, I was making just over $43k.  I know some college degree'd people who don't make this.  I also know it took over 20 years of doing administrative things I really dislike to get to that point.  I did enjoy managing people, I was good at that.  I did enjoy rallying the office to participate in office functions, parties, etc., I was good at that too, and it was fun.   I loved working in a marketing department and working on print ads, newsletters, website design, brochures, television ads and the like.  I hated answering phones, filing, answering to people who's best quality were their clothes or those who liked to belittle to make themselves feel successful.  Screw them.  I am not a babysitter anymore.  I cannot do it any longer.

So, here I am.  Who the hell am I?  What do I want to be?  How does an almost 42 year old figure that out.  And if it's something I truly want to do...is it an employable field?  I have taken several career assessment tests over the years, and they have all said the same thing:  Marketing/Public Relations.

I know this is an area I love.  An area I feel comfortable and confident in.  I honestly hope this is an "in demand career" for the future because I honestly can't see myself doing anything else.

I also want to learn Chinese.

向前和向上

 

No comments:

Post a Comment